This is the primary mode of communication in our team. We use Slack for it currently.
@channelis used only for super important messages. Use wisely.
@hereuse only when you want those online to see your message.
- DM people more than tagging them in a channel. Unless the conversation needs to be read by the group.
- If using threads,
@who ever needs to see it. Always!
- If someone tagged you in a message. Respond to it. Don't let them feel ignored!
- Make time to check internal chat everyday and respond to messages.
#mv_squadis for all mediwave related queries and posts.
#generalare for formal company wide announcements(both mindwave and mediwave) and posts.
#mediwave_leave_permissionsis for when you want to tell everyone that you'll be away on leave or doing WFH.
- If you're unsure where a message should go, feel free to ask.
- Format for better readability
- Use markdown
- lists. we are big fans of lists!
- breakdown large shunks into smaller blocks
- bold or italics for emphasis
- share code snippets in code blocks
- if the content is huge, make it into an attachment.
Video meets / Meetings
- Use slack huddles or calls if time needed < 10mins
- Use https://meet.google.com if its longer than 10mins. Check the other persons calendar before giving them an invite.
- Always have cameras ON. Mention explicitly when the meeting starts if you can't do so.
- Have an agenda written down for meetings longer than 10 mins. This makes meetings quick and to the point.
- Do not be late for meetings. Mention beforehand, if facing issues.
- The person who convened the meeting should ensure that the meeting finishes on time.
Email is for formal communication.
- Always "Reply to all"
- Have a signature.
- If in doubt, do not send.
- Read twice and then read once again before clicking "Send"
- This is for informal banter. Ex: Planning outings or get-togethers outside working hours.
- Everyone on the mediwave team would be here.
- Do not assume or expect anyone to check regularly or respond in a timely manner.
Used when all else fails. If the person you're calling does not answer, be patient. Unless its an emergency.
Call at reasonable hours